Monday, November 3, 2008

The art of teaching exercise classes

I've been taking a pilates/yoga class for the last 4 or 5 months. It has been a great addition to my life. I enjoy getting some physical exercise, I like the relaxation of the yoga, and it is fun to be part of a class. After all, what is it I have done best in my life? Be a student.

I'm really impressed with our instructor, Annie. She is a former dancer of indeterminate age--30+/- 10 years. She is always pleasant and friendly to the class. But what impresses me the most is her ability to communicate to the class rather complex physical moves. She never mixes up her right and left, she counts repetitions and reminds us to breathe, and is able to describe exactly what to do with our bodies in ways that I find incredible. As we are moving she calls out little hints like, "keep your shoulders down" "lengthen your neck" "tighten your arms." They always seem to be exactly on target for what I need to do. When she says "press your shoulders down" I realize that mine were NOT pressed down. I wonder how she is able to describe the physical sensations and moves so well.

Some days she changes her "lesson plan" based on what she feels the class may need. For example, a few weeks ago we were doing some balancing poses in yoga and everyone was falling over. She commented about the "anger" in the room and we switched to some mat work and relaxation. Another gray snowy day we did some extra time in relaxation since everyone seemed so tired and worn. I like that she is able to so accurately read the mood of the class or of individual students.

No comments: