Friday, November 14, 2008

Book Reviews

I have read some books recently that I would recommend to others. Here are a few of my recent favorites.

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson. An outstanding novel translated from Norwegian. I think I have already written about it here, but I feel like I can't talk about it enough. The story revolves around an older man who moves to rural Norway after his wife dies. The themes of loss, solitutude, and dealing with the past are prominent. The writing is sparse, but the descriptions of place and events is very powerful. It is a book that just really hit home for me.

The Outlander by Gil Adamson. A novel set in the early 1900s in western Canada. The young woman in the story is fleeing her brothers in law after the murder of her husband. She teeters on the brink of sanity as she escapes across the wilderness. Adamson is a poet and her language and descriptions have a lyrical quality. The story is compelling and, ultimately, leaves you with hope.

There are more, but I'll save those for another day.

No comments: