Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day and Grandma


Election Day. It always reminds me of my grandmother. Growing up , GM, as she was known to us, was the Democratic precint committee chair. Because she needed to have a vice chair, my dad served that role, but I don't remember him ever doing any active political work. GM, however, had us stuffing envelopes and delivering literature from a young age. We would stand outside polling places with signs, help keep track of who voted, and attend political rallies. The Democrats always had a chicken barbeque that she would take me and my older sisters to attend. I even remember going to a fancy fundraiser for someone...can't remember who now! As I got older, my interest continued and as a teen I worked tirelessly for the campaign of Floyd Fithian, who ran for Congress. If I remember right his opponent was a guy named Landgrebe....but I could be wrong. Floyd had gotten a high school boy interested in his campaign, and Dave recruited most of his friends to work along with him. Dave had been diagnosed with leukemia earlier and decided to drop out of high school and work in politics full-time. He died a few years later, and I hope he thought that he had made the right decision.

I certainly hope that my husband and I are able to instill some of that respect for the democratic process in our sons.

No comments: