Monday, November 10, 2008

The last acceptable stigma

Tonight I made my son a "fat suit" for the school musical. He is playing Augustus Gloop in the musical, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. He is slim, Augustus is a character who eats constantly and is overweight. So, some extra padding was needed. The irony of the situation is that I do research on obesity, primarily on the health effects, but also on the social stigma attached to those who are overweight. There is some really interesting research on the negative connotations associated with those who are overweight--they earn less, are less likely to be hired, are less likely to be invited to social events, the list goes on...I felt a little guilty creating a costume for my son that perpetuated the stereotype of those who are overweight as lazy, lacking self control, and unmotivated.

No comments: