Monday, November 24, 2008

Teacher Conferences

Just came back from my last ever "official" parent-teacher conference for my 8th grader. From now on we meet only with teachers on an "as needed" basis. This was my son's best conference ever. These teachers seem to understand him better and are willing to work around his quirkiness. For instance, if he finishes work early, he pulls out a book to read. Some teachers find this terrribly annoying. Personally, I view it as a good coping strategy...so do these teachers. That's good. He is a child who never studies, likes to work independently, and wants to be challenged. He is mostly bored at school. These teachers kept saying, "he's a great kid," "contributes a lot in class," "has interesting ideas," etc. I kept looking for the negative--"is he disrespectful?" "does he pay attention?" "is he disruptive?" It was a great way to start the Thanksgiving week!

No comments: