Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The bane of my existence

A few years ago I agreed to take on the role of secretary/treasurer for a professional organization. A good friend and mentor of mine had done this for many years and was anxious to unload the job. She assured me that it would be fairly straightforward. It is not. It is a constant source of irritation and annoyance for me. The organization publishes a journal, but we are 2 years behind. We manage our own subscriptions, so I get all the checks, claims, complaints, etc. I cannot keep track of it all. The mail is still often sent to her, which she forwards to me in bulk packages, months later. I can never keep up. I hate the job. I regret the day I ever agreed to do it. I want to quit. I need to find someone as naive as I was. But first, in all good conscience, I need to get the current situation under control. Hopefully we will find a new publisher who will take over all of the subscription management. I can only hope.

No comments: