Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What do Moms do?


This weekend I am meeting an old friend for a weekend at a spa retreat. We plan to get a massage, facial, manicure and pedicure, then drink some wine, take some walks, and talk a lot. I think it will be a great time. When I was telling my boys (ages 17 and 13) about the trip their reaction was, "“We thought spas were for ladies!” I pointed out that I was, indeed, a lady, but they countered that no, I was just a mom!

So what is it that distinguishes a "mom" from a "lady?" In my house, at least, the list would probably include: moms do laundry, ladies don't; moms clean toilets, ladies don't; moms make dinner, ladies don't...you get the picture. But, another list would be: moms get hugs from their kids (even when they are teens!), ladies don't; moms see the smiles when the college acceptance letters come in, ladies don't; moms see the pride in getting the robots, rockets, and roller coasters to work, ladies don't. I'll take being defined as a mom any day.

Still, I think moms deserve a spa weekend now and then!

No comments: