Saturday, January 24, 2009

Education and Social Class

My office at work has "adopted" a pre-K classroom in a local city school. We help with holiday parties, collect winter clothing and books, and once a week volunteers go to read in the classroom. There are about 15 4-5 year old kids in the class, all African American, from a poor and working class community. I've gone to read twice now, and I find it very difficult. I bring some of the books my boys liked when they were younger and the kids seem to enjoy the stories. It is the teachers I have issues with.

I realize that some people who read this are, or will be, teachers. As a sociologist, I certainly realize the role of the school system in the socialization process. And I'm only there for 1/2 hour, so who am I to judge? But, it seems like the teachers spend most of the 30 minutes I'm there yelling at the kids--"sit down" "sit up" "stop fidgeting" "be quiet" "don't laugh" "keep your hands in your lap"....There is a steady stream of commands. When I read, I like to ask questions--"what do you think will happen next?" "can you see the dog?". But the teachers don't want the kids to react at all, just to sit quietly. I want to just get down on the rug and let them crowd around and look at the book and climb in my lap. I can see that the teachers are afraid that if they give an inch the kids will be out of control, but it is very hard for me to see the enthusiasm and spirit of these kids quashed. No wonder they learn to dislike school. I'm sure there is another side to this, but it is hard for me to see.

No comments: