Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Skiing, or not


ME-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I learned to ski as a kid. There was a very small ski area near our house where I learned. My dad, older sister and younger brother skiied. I think others of the kids tried at various times, but we were the core group. A few times a year we would make a day trip up into Michigan to a bigger hill--Swiss Valley. And maybe once a year we would make a weekend trip to Michigan or UP Michigan to a bigger hill...Iron Mountain, Boyne, maybe some others. Once I got married I quit since my husband wasn't into it and we didn't live anywhere where it was really convenient. Then babies came, etc. About 6 years ago I decided to take it up again when my older son started skiing. Did okay for a few years, then had a major knee accident. That took me off the hills for a year. But, back up on the horse I went and last year had a great time skiing.

So, what happens this year? I thought I would go a lot during the holiday break, but we had some rotten weather and then I got a bad cold. Okay, I'll go over the weekend...but one of the chairlifts was broken and I heard that a roundtrip took over an hour, so I didn't bother. Today it has rained....

When will I get out to the slopes?? I like the first run of the year to be on good conditions, because I still get a little nervous about the knee. I'm not a very good skier, so poor conditions really put me at a disadvantage. So right now I'm in this limbo of really wanted to ski, but really wanted to do it in good conditions. I'm afraid if I wait spring will come first!

NOT ME----------------------------------------------------------

No comments: