Tuesday, December 9, 2008

School Delay

We all woke up this morning and did our morning things. The boys have their routines down to a science, they get up at 7:00 and leave the house about 7:20. Now that Doug drives to school they actually leave a little earlier than the bus because they have to backtrack to get the girlfriend. Anyway, I walked out to get the paper and there was a brisk wind blowing that had drifted a little snow across the driveway. The boys departed and I snuck back into bed, intending to read for about 15 minutes. I turned on the radio and just caught the end of the school delay message. I heard our school mentioned, but not the time of the delay. I bustled out to the living room and surfed the channels to catch the scrolling school delay messages. Sure enough, FP had a two hour delay. I called the boys on the cell phone, they had just arrived at girlfriend's house. They turned around and came home. What a treat! Time for a little Guitar Hero before school! We all could have used an extra hour of sleep this morning, but given that we are all up and fed, it is nice to have some "found time." I guess the drifting was bad enough on our rural roads that the buses could not navigate.

I remember in high school our school would sometimes have "late start" days when the teachers would have in-service meetings in the morning. It was a nice break to come into school a little later than usual, changed the whole character of the day. I much prefer "late starts" to "early dismissals."

No comments: