Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Boy Toys



When my boys have moved away from home can I still buy Legos and K'Nex???? I hope so, or will I have to wait for the grandkids? We were a Legos family for a long time. We have bins and bins of them. The boys would build the model, then reuse the pieces for a variety of other structures and vehicles. I liked Legos. Then Legos started their downhill slide. I don't know what market they were trying to appeal to, but it wasn't ours. I think it started with Bioncles, which weren't really models anymore, but some kind of action figure. In any event, over the years our interest in Lego kits waned. But, then K'Nex entered the home. They aren't quite as versatile as Legos, in my opinion, but their kits are more fun. We just finished building the motorized madness ball machine....it's cool. A chain lifts balls up a tower and then they fall 3 different ways back to the bottom. When I get to a computer that I can hook up to the camera I'll post a picture.

What do I like about these kits? I think I like following the directions! I like the fact that you can follow the steps and make something. I don't have the fine motor skills to build tiny model cars, or do fine needlework. But I do like having a finished product from my efforts. I like the whole building process. I'm not that interested in making something new or different from them, I just like going through a process step by step and ending up with the "right" thing. It's like following a recipe, which I also like to do...so K'Nex are just like baking, except you can't eat them when you are done.

1 comment:

laurai said...

Wonderful blog. I wonder the same about many of the toys and books we are giving away or packing up -- can it really be that we are all done with the Narnia books, board games, etc? Obviously we are for now...packing things off to Half-price Books or Goodwill is sometimes freeing, and sometimes makes me wince and shake my head in disbelief.