Friday, December 5, 2008

Middle School Romance


Remember middle school, possibly the worst years of your life? This week my younger son performed in the middle school musical. He did a fantastic job, sang wonderfully, looked great, got plenty of applause (of course, I am his mother!) Cast members arrive about 90 minutes before showtime to get into costumes, arrange props, get makeup (a highlight for the girls and a source of embarrassment for the boys), and generally work each other up into an increasing state of nervous frenzy. When we arrived my son's best friend pulled him aside, "I need your help!" he whispered and they ducked into the men's room. A few minutes later my kid comes out with a determined look on his face, "I have to do something for Sam, " he calls as he runs down the hall and into the lobby. There are a variety of concessions--candy, drinks, photos, DVDs, and flowers for family and friends to buy. A while later I see the two of them with a red carnation, headed back to the bathroom. As much as I love my kid, I'm thinking this flower is NOT for me. Soon, another boy is called in for consultation. The three of them conspire for a bit and next time I look around Hannah is holding a red carnation....hmmm, how did that happen? I had heard that Hannah and Sam were "dating" from my son, so I had kind of figured out the reason for the drama, but it was still fun to watch. Later, my kid told me that Sam had wanted him to give the flower to Hannah. My son's response, "I don't think that would look too good. She'll see me coming towards with a flower and think, 'oh no, not him!' " (A romantic in the making, my boy!) In the end, Sam handed over the gift, probably the only contact the two principals had the whole evening.

Young love, can't beat it.

No comments: