Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Office Party


Since I have been married I have spent very few Christmas Days at home. Early on, my husband and I would alternate spending Christmas and Thanksgiving between our families. After our first son was born we kept up the tradition. Thirteen years ago we moved to the Syracuse area and son number 2 was born. Still, we traveled at Christmas. I think the first Christmas the kids spent at home was in 2001, when we had just returned from our Germany sabbatical. Since then I think we have spent 2 other Christmas days at home. I used to feel like the kids were missing the excitement of Christmas morning, but we always celebrated "Christmas Day" before we left, even if it wasn't on the 25th. In some ways when they were younger it seemed to matter less.

But, I do have a little hang-up about traditions. My grandmother made us Christmas stockings when we were infants. She embroidered and appliqued designs on each. Over time these stockings faded and the stitching started to fray. One year my mother decided to spruce them up (a fitting holiday term) with some new decorations. I was dismayed. My stocking had been altered without my permission! It wasn't exactly the same. I think in the end I tore off all of my mother's handiwork. I wanted my original stocking, frayed or not.

I wanted our kids to have some traditions that they would remember and would make up, in some way, for not having the traditional Christmas morning. When we moved here my husband started his own business with a home office. The first Christmastime here we decided to hold an "office party" in that office. We hung special decorations, made special treats, and played Christmas music (Twisted Christmas is a popular favorite). Over the years the tradition has been maintained. The menu stays pretty much the same--including IBC root beer for the kids, shrimp cocktail for the parents. We all look forward to the evening and enjoy some time as a family. I'm glad that we have kept it up. Maybe some day the boys will complain when I try to vary the menu, but hopefully the tradition will carry on.

No comments: