Sunday, November 14, 2010

Writing an exam


I just finished writing an exam for my MAX 201 course. I hate writing tests, hate grading tests, hate giving tests, although I must say I never really hated taking tests. I was fortunate to be a good test taker. I was pretty good at deciphering what the instructor wanted me to know, learning it, and repeating it back in a form and format that pleased them. This ability extended to standardized tests as well.


In the past I could not understand why others were unable to do this. But, over the years, I've seen enough good students struggle that I am more sympathetic. When I write a test I try to find questions that will test if the students understand what we have been talking about. I try to de-emphasize the memorization part of learning and emphasize the understanding part. Usually, if a student understands the material they are able to apply it to a new situation. Coming up with examples that are close to what we have discussed, but not exactly the same is tough. Add on the fact that I will need to read and evaluate 50+ of these tests and efficiency sometimes trumps a truly comprehensive exam.


No comments: