Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nature


I've just returned from a weekend trip to the Rocky Mountains. The weather was beautiful, 60s and sunny. There was a dusting of snow on the upper peaks, but the lower elevations were snow free. I was amazed at how blue the sky was, especially against the white snow of the mountains. A month ago I went camping with my sisters and nieces. It was another wonderful weekend--warm and sunny, with a touch of rain overnight. There aren't as many mountains in Indiana, but the Shades park has gorges and a small river running through it. Growing up I spent many hours in the Indiana Dunes, walking in the dunes, playing on the beach. I went to camp in the summer, canoeing, camping, and sleeping in a tent.

I've found that I need a fair amount of fresh air to be happy. I try to take a walk every night, even in the winter...maybe especially in the winter. There is something about the feel of air on my face that helps me relax, focus my thoughts, and clear my mind. I've often felt that if I could only walk long enough I could solve all of my problems.

What is it about fresh air that is so relaxing? Could I survive in the city? Would I wither and die?

No comments: