Sunday, October 25, 2009

Parents' Weekend

This was Parents Weekend at SU, well, actually it is called Family Weekend, more inclusive. It is odd to have a child only 15 miles away from home, "at college." We see him frequently, but have not been to his dorm since he moved in. On Friday night, he came home to see the final high school soccer game and spent the night. Aren't we supposed to go there on Family weekend, not him come here? I think next year we will get a hotel room. On Saturday we took both boys out for lunch and then went to campus. We saw "the room." Doug has been very neat and tidy, so that was encouraging. When we arrived at about 2 PM, his roommate was just getting up. We chatted with roomie and roomie's parents for a bit, then headed over to the Dome for the football game. On Family weekend they don't have a student section, and you can tell. The place was much quieter than usual. The game was not too thrilling, other than for the mistakes.

So, how was my first Parents' Weekend as a parent? Unimpressive. I love my son, and it was a lot of fun to have lunch with him, but the rest of the experience feels a little forced. I know from talking to my students that it is mainly first year students and families that "celebrate" this weekend, and I can see why.

No comments: