Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day of Class

Yesterday was the first day back teaching after a year long leave. I felt a little rusty, but I'm hoping, like riding a bicycle, it will be something I haven't forgotten. The two classes I'm teaching are very similar in content, so I will have to be careful that I remember which topics have been discussed where. Combined, I have just over 100 students, so that will be a lot of names to learn. That is one of my goals this year, to learn the names of my students better. I think as I get older it gets harder.

Also different this year is having my own college age student. I can look out in the classroom and imagine my own son sitting in a similar classroom across campus. When I told him I was always a little nervous on the first day, he said, "Don't worry mom, remember they are more afraid of you than you are of them!"

No comments: