Monday, February 2, 2009

Chairlift stories


I wrote awhile back about taking the "plunge" to go skiing. Well, I did that a few weeks ago and find myself skiing better than ever. I guess the knee recovery can be considered complete and my extra efforts at strength training are paying off. I ski at a very small hill near our house. The main hill is serviced by a double chairlift. If I make it out there on a weekday afternoon, I don't have to wait at all to get on and ride by myself.
On the weekends, however, the story is different. Saturdays and Sundays have a pretty long line and the lift attendants make sure "singles" (those skiing alone) match up to make the line go faster. I don't mind riding with a stranger and have had some great conversations on the few minute ride to the top.
My favorite companions are kids. A few weeks ago I was just walking up to the line for the first time when a young girl, maybe 8 or 9, approached me and asked if I was a single. That alone was unusual, because usually kids are too shy to partner up in line. I answered that I was, indeed, single and would be happy to ride with her. We chatted as we waited in line. She talked about her pets, her family, her school. Just as we were getting ready to load, she turned to me and said, "Your gray hair makes you look a lot older than you are." I'm used to gray hair comments, and replied, "Well, how old do you think I am?" My companion was very diplomatic and answered, "Your hair makes you look like you are maybe 70, but you don't talk like you are 70." I didn't want to press my luck and left it at that!
Yesterday, I found myself riding with a young man. He was silent in line, but once we were in the privacy of our liftchair, he opened up. Turns out his name is Christopher, but he prefers to be called Chris. I pointed out our similarity, my name is Christine, but I prefer to be called Chris. I told him I only used "Christine" when I wanted to act grown up. "But," he countered, "you ARE a grown up!" I guess the gray hair did me in again!

No comments: