Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Girl Scout cookies


It's Girl Scout cookie time in Upstate New York! I have a box of thin mints in my offie and they probably won't last the week....or maybe even the day. Thin Mints are really the only cookie for me from the GS menu, I don't find many of the others that special. I'm not a peanut butter cookie fan, so the DoSiDos and Tagalongs don't excite me. I like the Trefoils okay, they are good with a cup of hot tea. The chocolate chip cookies are too dry. I have taken a liking to the Samoas, a newer cookie with coconut, caramel and chocolate (how could you go wrong there!) This year I bought a box of Dulce de Leche cookies, they are a caramel chip cookie with a drizzle of caramel on the top. I like them, but they aren't a "must have." In past years there have been sandwich cookies, a variety of lemon cookie variations, and I remember a square shortbread type cookie with chocolate on one side...something about animals.

The Thin Mint is just perfect. When I was younger, the cookie inside was not chocolate, though. I like to lick off the chocolate mint coating and then eat the cookie, but that is not as easy with this new cookie. Also, they used to have the trefoil imprinted on them.

In NY the cookies come from Little Brownie bakeries, so maybe in Indiana we used a different bakery. In my Girl Scout days, we didn't collect orders ahead of time. Instead, you were given a selection of cookies by the "cookie mother" and then sold them. When you ran out, you went back and got more or swapped the slow sellers for more popular varieties. The cookie mother had to estimate what cookies would sell, how many would be needed, and run a warehouse operation out of her house. I remember boxes and boxes of cookies stacked in our entry one year. I think I've seen recipes using the Thin Mints in pie crusts, or with whipped cream or ice cream, but why ruin a perfectly good cookie? I like mine straight up.

No comments: