Tuesday, August 19, 2008

New academic year

Well, my attempt at blogging wasn't too successful last year, but I'm determined to try again. I'm feeling a little lost as August ends. Usually I would be preparing for a new semester, looking over my syllabus, getting my opening day lecture ready, and puzzling over my class list.

The class list is always one of the most interesting things at the beginning of the semester. I try to figure out pronunciations, look at the distribution of the majors (why is someone from biomechanical engineering in here?), and see if there are any familiar names. I really enjoy havign a student for more than one class. I like getting to know them.

This year none of that is happening. Instead, I'm sitting in my windowless office trying to write a grant proposal and wondering what a whole year on leave will feel like. I think I will like it, which also scares me...what if I like it too much? what if I have no ambition anymore?

I'm trying to keep busy, though. I have a grant to write, a couple of book chapters, and I'll be volunteering one day a week in a first grade classroom. That should be fun.

No comments: