Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Friendly People

What makes some people friendly and talkative? Today I went for a routine mammogram. In the waiting room an older woman commented, "you look so calm! How do you manage?" I pointed out that I was just there for a screening, so I wasn't expecting any bad news. She, on the other hand, is a 25 year breast cancer survivor. We chatted briefly, were both called in for x-rays, and then met again while we waited to hear that our films were readable. I swear we did not spend more than 5 minutes together, but in that time I learned:
she is a breast cancer survivor
she only has sons, the youngest is 50
her daughter in law won't let her see her two adopted grandkids (one of whom turned 22 yesterday) but she still sends them cards, presents, and birthday checks (well, they used to send bonds, but now they send checks)
her 90 year old friend had breast cancer 30 years ago and now has cancer in her spine. She is going through chemo and worried about losing her hair.
she is a perfectionist.
she hurt her hand a week ago making dinner
she is Catholic

I don't know if I would ever talk like that to a stranger. Why? I was happy to listen, to distract her a little bit (she was really nervous), and to wish her well. But, would I want to share all of that with a complete stranger? Just makes me wonder.

No comments: