Sunday, September 22, 2024

Yoga, 108, Equinox

 Today is the autumnal equinox. To celebrate, I met up with 15 others to perform 108 yoga sun salutations. It took us over 90 minutes, but we did them. It was hot and sweaty work, and some couldn't finish, but I did (with a few modifications here and there).

I first learned about yoga in the 1970s went I spent two weeks in rural Tennessee helping to build a community center. Part of our group were a young "hippie" couple who led those interested in yoga every afternoon. Proof:

(I'm dressed all in white. No way I could do a tree pose that high today....)

Upon my return I attended yoga classes at the local YMCA where I was definitely the youngest person there. Over the years, from time to time, I would return to the practice, but never very seriously or for very long. I dabbled in meditation, attending a weekly meditation group at the University and even going to some classes at the local Buddhist temple in Syracuse. I took some classes in Tai Chi. Clearly I was looking for something.

During Covid, one of the coaches from my gym started a Sunday morning virtual yoga class. It was perfect. I was going through some difficult times and that weekly hour spent on myself became a lifeline. The quiet focus on my body, the companionship of others, the gentleness of the moves, and the encouragement to suspend judgement, soothed my soul.  So, I was glad that when I moved I found a similarly focused instructor and group.

Why 108? Apparently 108 is  a special number in many ways. Fibonacci of math fame thought the number represented the wholeness of existence. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is approximately 108 times the Sun's diameter and the distance from the Earth to the Moon is roughly 108 times the Moon's diameter. The Sanskrit alphabet has 54 characters and each has a masculine and feminine form 54x2=108. I could go on.  Of course, I could come up with a whole host of things that DON'T add up to 108, but for today I'll suspend my cynical nature, celebrate the equality of daylight and night, and suspend judgement.

Happy Equinox!

The Seasons, the Equinox, and the Solstices




No comments: