Monday, September 23, 2024

Theodor Billroth

 

 

 I've been working today on a new lecture covering a brief history of medicine for my population class. Reading through overviews of medical advances I happened upon the name Theodor Billroth, a pioneer in gastric surgery--in fact, Wikipedia calls him the founding father of modern abdominal surgery. Two years ago I had a "Billroth II" reconstruction following gastric surgery!  I had no idea that Dr. Billroth first developed these procedures in the 1800s.  While I'm sure there have been advances it does make wonder, what has medicine done since then? 

I was also fascinated to learn that Billroth was a music aficionado and close friend of Brahms. Brahms even dedicated some works to him. I wonder if the surgeons play Brahms in the operating room? If not, they should.  I'll have to ask them at my next visit.

Somehow, feeling connected to someone so well-respected in history makes me feel just a little special.

"In all the spheres he sought to influence, he was guided by a belief in the unity of science and art, and by confidence in his own ability to effect change."  

 

(From Roses, Daniel F. (1989-01-01). "Review of The Surgeon's Surgeon: Theodor Billroth 1829–1894, Vol. 3". Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences. 44 (2): 251–253. doi:10.1093/jhmas/44.2.251. JSTOR 24633109.)

 

 

No comments: