Saturday, June 28, 2014

Westward

For 29 years I've lived in the "east," 10 years in Pennsylvania and 19 in central New York.  This week I moved back to the Midwest. Driving on the Ohio turnpike, especially the stretch from Cleveland to Indiana has been a trip I've taken at least a few times a year for  29 years.  I've done it alone, I've done it pregnant, I've done it with a spouse and with kids, and in all combinations. I've usually driven it straight through, sometimes taking two days.  While I'll make the trip again, it will be with Chicago as "home."  I'll gain an hour coming home, instead of losing it. Gas prices will go up instead of down as I get further from home. Speed limits will go down instead of up.  Everything will be backwards.

Coming to central time the 11 o'clock news will be at 10, the apple will drop in Times Square at 11 pm on December 31st, and  staying up to watch the end of Monday night football means I can still get   a good night's sleep.

I can call soda, "pop" again, eat Chicago style pizza, and find good  pork.


No comments: