Friday, April 4, 2014

A Fresh Start






  


                                 

Google "fresh start" and ask for images and these are three of the top choices.  I was struck by what they have in common.  Outstretched arms--facing the light, waiting, open to new possibilities.  But if you are facing the light, what is behind you? Only darkness?

Many people say that what I'm doing is making a fresh start.  I appreciate the sentiment, but sometimes it feels like making a fresh start means turning my back on the past.  I don't want to do that. I'm not running away from something. I am leaving and I am excited about the future, but equally sad about what I won't be taking with me.  It's true there are things I would be happy to leave, but I'm not sure I will ever rid myself of those things.  They will follow me everywhere, for better and for worse.

Still, I will stand with my arms outstretched, face the light, and walk into the future.


No comments: