Sunday, November 10, 2013

Classics

I was at the grocery store yesterday, mentally calculating the cost of my purchases, when I happened to glance at the candy rack.  Now, I am pretty traditional when it comes to candy. Hershey's with almonds is my go to favorite.  Milky Ways are too creamy, Snickers too sweet, and while I like peanut butter and chocolate, for some reason the combination is not appealing, ruling out the Reese's cups.  There is something about the combination of almonds and chocolate, though, that balances the sweetness and crunch in just the right way.  I usually take a bite, carefully not biting around an almond, and let the chocolate melt in my mouth until I'm left with a whole almond....

I knew our store had a few "no candy" checkout lanes, and I've been through the "international candy" lane before. But, yesterday I must have wandered into the "classic candy" aisle, a place I didn't know existed.  There, nestled in its wire rack, was a stack of Bun candies.  I can't really call them bars, because they're round....sort of.


Bun candies come in three flavors, vanilla, caramel, and maple.  They have a flavored center and are covered in chocolate and peanuts.  My mother used to eat Bun candies, I think the maple flavor was her favorite.  As a kid, I wasn't that fond of them, maybe that is why she preferred them--no competition!  Along with the Bun candies were Mallow cups, Charleston Chews, Beeman's gum, Coconut slices, and Chuckles.

Standing there, with my cell phone, credit cards, and cart full of food, I felt like I was 4 years old again, crying because my sisters each had 2 nickles and I had only 1 dime.  And only my Mom could make it better.

I reached over to the rack, picked up a Bun candy, and carefully set it on the conveyor.

No comments: