Friday, June 22, 2012

Sullivan, Schwartz, and Slaughter

Three stories, all in the first section of today's New York Times, seem oddly connected.

First, the headline, “Elite Women Put New Spin on Old Debate,” which discusses Anne Marie Slaughter’s recent Atlantic article about why she stepped down from the State Department caught my eye. She talks about the choices to be made in work-family balance, the advantages of an academic life, and the role of parents in the lives of teens.


Second, I read the obituary for Anna Schwartz, an economist who worked with Milton Friedman but got only a fraction of his recognition. At a time when women were not encouraged to pursue intellectual pursuits, especially not economics, she was a force. She was not a demographer, but demography as a discipline had some very strong women leaders early on and I’ve benefited from their successes.

Third, there is the ongoing story of the ouster (and possible reinstatement) of Teresa Sullivan as president of University of Virginia. I have a lot of respect for her and disdain for the creeping corporatization of academia. I thought her statement a few days ago outlining her accomplishments and leadership style was superb.

I’ve usually considered myself a “small f” feminist, believing that the right path was to do my best at work and home and carry on; I would be judged by my actions, not my gender. I know that is not always the case, and at times I am surprised when I run up against the “boys” at work. Still, for the most part, an academic life has afforded me the balance and recognition I’ve sought. Three stories about women, leadership, family, balance, academic life, intellectual pursuits…it’s like the basis for a novel, how the lives of these three women in different places and times intersect, connect, and illuminate my own experiences.

No comments: