Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Laptops in the classroom

I'm in the process of writing my fall syllabus. There are a few changes, for one, the University seems to have lost a class week, at least for me. Given the low attendance on the days before Thanksgiving, this year we will not have classes at all that week. I had to do a little rearranging to make my topics fit the new outline. I'm also working on changing/updating some assignments and readings.

But, my biggest consideration is how to handle laptops and cell phones in class. I've always had a pretty lenient policy. I don't really care what people do in class. I do get upset if they start to bother other people around them, talking, etc., but if someone is quietly doing a crossword puzzle I usually turned the other way. I guess part of it was thinking if they didn't think what I was saying was important enough to pay attention to then that was my fault, not theirs.

Now, though, laptops and cell phones have become problems. Laptops invite abuse. I know at scientific review panels that many reviewers are surfing the net, checking email, and updating their Facebook pages while we discuss grants. The temptation is great. With advanced cellphones the temptation to check email and text is even greater. Last semester I talked to my class about whether laptops should be banned and most said "yes" even those who were on their laptops at the time. I'm thinking I will try that policy for a few semesters--no laptops--and see what happens. Banning cell phones is harder, requires more monitoring (what are you doing with your hands under the desk, Tommy?) But, I will try to make a stricter statement.

I've never been good at really calling out kids in class. What has worked is for me to bring the problem to the class and discuss it, more of a shame approach I suppose.
I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: