Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer camp

I was a big fan of summer camp as a child. I've tried to convince my own sons to go to camp, but they have no interest. Maybe I wanted to get away from home, but I think mostly I enjoyed the activities. Summer can be long and slow, especially in the days before 24 hour cartoons, Internet, and not being old enough for a summer job. I attended Girl Scout camp, church camp, YMCA camp. I did the living in cabins, eating in a dining hall, camping; wilderness camping; canoe camping; and living in platform tents and cooking most of our own food camping. I liked them all. I didn't get homesick, I cried when camp was over.

This American Life recently aired a set of stories about summer camps. The stories focused more on the longer camps, where kids would go for 4-6 weeks. My longest single camp stay was 2 weeks. What I found interesting about the segment was the discussion of camp rituals and routines. The argument was made that these rituals are essential to a camp's survival since they develop a sense of loyalty and belonging. Older campers have certain rights that are not allowed younger campers, so younger campers have something to look forward to if they return. There are stories, legends, and songs that become part of the camp lore. These are passed down from year to year, from camper to camper. New campers are "initiated" into the camp ritual.

There was an interesting comparison to religion--the levels of seniority, the rituals, the secret knowledge. As a sociologist I think it would be fun to look at summer camps as social institutions and explore how they operate as agents of socialization. Dissertation anyone?

No comments: