Saturday, July 25, 2009

Jigsaw puzzles


I love doing jigsaw puzzles. Not those "impossible" ones that are all one color, or in which all the pieces are exactly the same. I like the standard 1000 piece, picture with some structure, type of puzzles. I also do the border first, find all of the straight edges. In looking for puzzle images, however, I found this one, in which the puzzler is working on the corner and middle. Usually, after the edges, I start to fill in a little. The bottom often gets done first, I think because it is closest to me. The center usually gets filled in early, too, since that has some identifiable pieces. I like to keep the pieces in the box and shuffle through them, letting them sift through my fingers while I look for just that right one. It is easy to do things like the edges of buildings, signs, things with distinctive colors, too. Gradually, the puzzle gets filled in. For some reason, the sky is almost always last. All that blue seems like just too much to figure out.
Jigsaw puzzles are very relaxing. You can work at your own pace, carry on a conversation at the same time, or work silently by a partner. They remind me of an old fashioned quilting bee. My sisters and I usually work puzzles when we are together. It bugged my mother. I think she thought it was anti-social. Or else she just didn't like the space it tied up. Still, it is a family tradition. My husband and kids have no interest. So, when we go on vacation I get to do one all by myself! It is a highlight of the trip for me.
Puzzles that can be solved are soothing. You know what you are working towards (I always consult the picture on the box.) There is only one right answer, but there is an answer. You get a sense of accomplishment as you complete the picture. There is that thrill when you find just the right piece for a particular spot. Jigsaw puzzles are like math problems, or logic puzzles, or any of those other pursuits that provide a definitive answer if you look long enough.

No comments: