Thursday, March 19, 2009

Senior Citizen Day at the airport

Has Tuesday become Senior Citizen day for the airlines? I did read somewhere that the lowest fares are on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Maybe that explains it. I have nothing against older adults, heck I am one! But on my flight home from DC on Tuesday I must have been one of the youngest people on the plane. We had three wheelchair customers, a few canes, and plenty of shaky older adults with their blue Samsonite suitcases. They all have them.

Actually, I admire older people who are still willing to fly given the difficulties they must encounter. There is some rule about wheelchairs in the terminal. An older couple was wheeled up to our gate about 5 minutes before boarding time. The attendants pulled them out of the wheelchairs and deposited them in a waiting area seat. Five minutes later the gate attendant called for 2 wheelchairs and 20 minutes later a different attendant came back, loaded them up, and helped them on the plane. Why? Is it some union thing--different attendants operate the jetway than the terminal? Is it just inefficiency? Or not enough wheelchairs? Or just a form of sadistic torture?

No comments: