Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Out Stealing Horses

Every now and then I read a book that I just can't let go of--Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson is such a book. I read it first about a year ago when the English translation first came out. I just re-read it with my book group. First, I just find the writing very compelling. I like the tone of the story, the style, the choice of words and images. Second, I find many parallels to my own life and my own experiences. The experience of losing a sibling, of dealing with loss, of feeling abandoned and left alone, are all ideas and themes that resonate with me. Although the main character is a man, I can relate to his desire for solitude, his reticence to reach out to others, the way in which he can't quite shake the past. I like the way he describes others knowing only a part of you, that you share only facts, not feelings, that others cannot understand you. I love the sense of Norway. I've always been fascinated with country, since I wrote a report on the country in 6th grade. Visiting there is something I long to do before I die. It is a book I just want to savor over and over. I keep finding new meanings in every sentence each time I read it.

No comments: