Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Norway, Part 2

I'm home from the most wonderful vacation ever.  Norway completely lived up to my expectations, even exceeded them.  The scenery is breathtaking. I tried to narrow down the pictures I would include here, but it is very difficult.  And, the pictures don't really capture the effect, not to mention the sounds, smells, and feelings.

Meeting the group was easy and our first stop was Stalheim Hotel with this view...
I knew I was in the right place! 

I thought a lot about why this trip felt so important.  In the end, I think it is pretty simple.  It was, simply, something I wanted, something I was doing only for myself.  I didn't have to worry about what other people on the trip were doing or if they were having fun.  If I wanted to walk alone, I did. If I wanted to walk with others, I did.  If I wanted to swim in the fjord, I did.  If I wanted to curl up in my room and read, I did.  All of the logistics and decisions were being made by someone else. I was told what time to show up in the morning and what time to show up for dinner.  I often didn't even have to decide what food to order!

I loved being immersed in the landscape, not just viewing it from a boat. I even loved the rain (well, liked the rain.)  The physical challenge felt just right. There were two days with more challenging hikes that I passed on.  The first time I did that I felt a little disappointed in myself for a bit, was I underestimating my abilities?  But, then I thought, "what am I trying to prove?" I went to Norway to enjoy myself, not to prove anything.  After that realization, I felt better about my decision and when we ended up in this meadow, I was happy.


It was an amazing trip and I am so glad I was able to realize this dream.




2 comments:

Helen said...

I love everything about this... from the views to the attitude.
I only wish you hadn't narrowed down the pictures to three; I'd have loved to see move.
:)
H

Helen said...

more