Monday, July 8, 2013

Identity crisis

I have no sense of style. I admit it.

My difficulties in the make-up, clothing, and hair departments have already been documented.  But this lack of skill extends to interior design as well. I walked into Pier 1 yesterday and was nearly as panicked as I was in Sephora.  There are a million things, sparkly, colorful, bold, simple.  The choices were overwhelming and I had no sense of what I wanted.  What goes good together?  What matches?  What will "pop"? I want my home to look nicer, but I have no idea how to accomplish that.  At a very basic level, I have no idea what I want it to look like

I know people who collect things; owls, cows, windmills, salt shakers.  I don't.
I know people who can walk into a room and change two things and make the whole place more inviting. I can't.

I like my things to have some meaning.  Things that were gifts or associated with a happy memory. Not just stuff I bought at a store.  On the other hand, I'd like my home to look coordinated--matching towels, sets of dishes. I don't think I'm terribly materialistic, but I want things to be nice.  Some people seem able to accomplish that, have a home that looks beautiful and put together, without looking like an interior design studio.  I wish I could do that.

I don't want to live in an interior design magazine. I want to live in a home. But a home that feels good, feels like me.  But, who am I?

I am not modern:

         

I am not country:

           

I am definitely not Victorian:

 

I do not like balls in dishes....



I don't like velvet paintings...



I like sunflowers....



 

But not this many....




No comments: