Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Holiday Greetings

My latest past time at work is critiquing holiday cards.  This is the first year I sent out "professional" holiday cards.  I did not anticipate the angst that would be associated with such a decision.  Clearly, these must be of the non-sectarian "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" ilk, no mention of Christmas and no religious symbolism.

But, beyond that, what should the card convey?  There is the snowflake option, a sort of winter theme.  There is the corporate option, some element of my position or institution.  Then, there is the art option; something abstract and pretty that evokes good feelings.

Of course, cost is a consideration as well.  Size, weight, envelope, color....all influence the cost.  When you are ordering 500, that is not insignificant.

In the end we went with a winter scene of campus.  My college doesn't yet have its own place so there is no iconic building or statue to feature.  Instead, we have a shot of a snowy sculpture outside the library--winter, art, and institution all in one!

Now, cards from my colleagues have started to arrive.  Some are fancy, some less fancy, some bizarre.  We seem to have hit a happy medium, so I'm content with that for now.

No comments: