Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Being Brave

Every so often someone says to me, "You are so brave."  It's a nice thing to hear, a hard thing to believe.  I think most of us (all of us?) do brave things all the time.  I remember when my younger son was learning to drive. It was winter and he was driving down a 2 lane highway.  Coming the other direction was a snowplow, a big snowplow.  The vehicles passed and I commented about how passing snowplows always made me a bit nervous; it felt like there wouldn't be enough room to get by.  He replied, "Well, Mom, passing anything makes me nervous.  I realized when  I started to drive that at any moment I would be only a few feet away from hitting another vehicle.  But, you can't let it bother you, you just have to get used to it."  Aren't we all a bit brave driving every day?  If we think too much about the responsibility, the consequences of a moment of distraction, we would never get behind the wheel.

Sure, making big life change requires some bravery.  But, everyday living does, too.

No comments: