Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Back to the beginning...

I'm an intermittent meditator.  I like the idea, I like how I feel when I do it, but I find it hard to make it a priority in my daily life.  I suppose if I used broad definitions like walking, doing jigsaw puzzles, listening to music, I meditate pretty regularly.  But, the sit down and focus kind of meditation...not so much.

Yesterday, though, I was at an educational session at hospice on breathing and meditation.  Hospice work can be emotionally rewarding and emotionally draining. Learning how to manage those emotions is part of the training for staff and volunteers.  Our leader for the session was explaining the basics of meditation for those unfamiliar.  She gave the most common advice I've heard, count your breaths.  The idea is that by focusing on your breathing you block other thoughts and distractions.  But, as she noted, most of us can only count about 3 or 4 breaths before getting distracted and need to start back at 1.  What she said next, while I'm sure an off-handed remark to her, hit me like hammer..."It's okay to go back to the beginning."

It's okay to go back to the beginning.

Beginnings are at the start of any project, any task, any undertaking.

                     

Beginnings are chances for a new perspective, a new day, a new look.

  

Beginnings are how we tell a story.

 

Beginnings are on the other side of ends.





No comments: