Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Passing the Peace

I've been thinking about churches lately, what I like and don't like about church services. I've decided there is one thing I definitely do not like...the tradition of "passing the peace."  Called by various names, this is the part in the worship service when you are to greet the others around you with a handshake, accompanied often by the words, "Peace be with you."  I don't remember this ritual from my childhood and am not exactly sure when it started or who came up with the idea.  I blame the Roman Catholics of the 60s and 70s...the folk mass movement.  But I could be completely off base there and perhaps this has been a long standing ritual for some denominations or faith traditions.

If I am in an unfamiliar church, I don't particularly mind saying hello to the people near me, but feel no desire to venture down the aisle greeting everyone. What usual happens though, is that I run out of people to greet long before the time is up.  That means you are left awkwardly standing, looking cheerful, and trying to figure out when you can comfortably sit back down.  Invariably, there is some friendly person who sees it as his or her mission to seek out just such people and rush over with a warm welcome.  If you are a moderately reserved person, like I am, the last thing you want is to have someone intrude on your moment of discomfort.  What you would like to do is quietly sit down, absorb yourself in the minutiae of the bulletin, and wait it out.  You do not want to be singled out as the newcomer or stranger or "person who nobody is saying welcome to." If I'm in a familiar church, then I'll greet the people I want to before or after the service. I don't need that obligation foisted upon me.  Again, a quick hello to the people in my immediate vicinity is tolerable, although I think unnecessary.

Perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon.  Peace be with you.


 
                                        

No comments: