Sunday, January 9, 2011

Santa Claus



Now that the Christmas season has passed it is safe to write about Santa Claus. During a holiday luncheon there was a discussion about children and when they stopped believing in Santa Claus. I was amazed when one woman mentioned that this year her daughter admitted that she no longer "believed." I did some rough calculations in my head, and said, "Isn't your daughter like 11 years old or so?" Turns out I was right. Could an 11 year old be expected to still believe in Santa? In this world?

I didn't think my sons every really believed in Santa. We never made a big deal of it--or of the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, or other mythical creatures. I wouldn't say we went as far as the mom in "Miracle on 34th Street." We read lots of fairy tales, told stories, wondered at the magic of life and story. Still, I just couldn't get excited about creating this imaginary world of creatures who did good or evil things to kids.

I asked my boys about their memories of Santa. They admitted that they had, for a time, believed in Santa, but that they didn't remember any great shock when they realized the story wasn't true. It seemed a reasonable conclusion and a natural outgrowth of their maturity. They figured that by 5 or 6 they had lost their belief.
What purpose do those stories serve in our society? What types of myths do we continue to believ in about people, events, and motives?






No comments: