Sunday, December 12, 2010

"I Wish" songs


The other day I was listening to an old This American Life broadcast. The title of the podcast was "Promised Land," and while I didn't find the stories all that interesting, the introduction was fascinating to me. This may be something that everyone else already knew, especially those in the drama and theater fields, but it was a new insight for me.


Ira Glass was talking about the Disney movie, Sleeping Beauty, and how each character is introduced with a "wish song." He goes on to note how in most musicals, especially Disney stories, the first song sung by a character is called the "I wish" song. It is the song in which the main character estabishes his or her identity and their main longing or desire. It is the song that sets up the storyline, the quest to fulfill that wish is what drives the story.


"I wish" songs include "Over the Rainbow" in the Wizard of Oz, "Part of Your World" in the Little Mermaid, "Out There" in the Hunchback of Notre Dame...there are more, but you get the idea. Once you start thinking of them, they are everywhere.
Around Christmas wishing is a common theme--children make wish lists, Sears used to call their Christmas catalog the "Wish Book." There are wishes for world peace, toy guns, and baby dolls. There are wishes for prosperity, love, and understanding. I think my students are wishing for good grades, wishing to go home, and wishing for more sleep.
What would be the theme of your "I wish" song?

No comments: