Monday, August 17, 2009

Things I can't do

I can't make pie crust from scratch.

I don't eat many pies, so when I want to make a pie I just use a prepared crust. They taste fine and are so much easier. Should I learn how to make a pie crust? Is it an art I should master? If I baked more pies, would I eventually get better at making crust, or is it just beyond my abilities?

What about other things in life? Do we fail at some things because we don't do them often enough, or are they just beyond our abilities? How do you tell the difference? How many times do you fail before you give up (or give in?)

What is the difference between giving up and giving in? Giving in can imply a concession, you give in to someone else's demands, but isn't that also a giving up? You are giving up your position. And if you give up trying something, are you giving in to your flaws or limitations?

No comments: