Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A book I want to read

Last night I heard the re-run of Fresh Air on NPR (our local station replays the program at midnight.) Terry Gross was interviewing Michelle Goldberg about a new book she authored titled, The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World . I didn't hear all of the interview, but thought it might be a good supplement for my population class. It sounds like it has some historical information on the spread of contraceptive use and some of the political arguments around its use and non-use. For instance, before China adopted the famous "one child policy" it actually was encouraging large families, with the belief that strength comes in numbers. Of course, if you can't feed all of those numbers you have a problem. Anyway, I checked it out on Amazon and will probably order it. We'll see if it turns up on the spring syllabus.

No comments: